Saturday, November 3, 2012

FDA Panel Wants Sucide Warnings on Antidepressants


What Are Antidepressants Used to Treat?

If you guessed to treat depression your right. The most common reasons for prescribing antidepressants is to treat patients who suffer from depression.

Depression has long been described as a chemical imbalance in the brain where the brain is "depleted" of an important neurotransmitter known as serotonin. Serotonin can be best described as a regulator of mood, but it also plays a role in digestion, pain, sleep, mental clarity, and other bodily functions.

It is important to note that serotonin is not the only contributing factor to depression......


You can read the rest of my technical unbiased babble here.

 

My personal opinion on antidepressants and "increased" suicide risk:

Depression sucks, I know first hand. I cannot imagine where I would have been had it not been for my antidepressants that were prescribed to me back in the day. Not to mention I was also in what is deemed the "higher" risk category for suicidal tendencies (the age group of 18-24). I'm still here, no longer as depressed and I think it's fair to say I'm semi-sane. 

Who reads side effects and/or black box labels anyways?!

Side effects of medication are necessary evils, stressing parents, caregivers and doctors out about the SLIM chance of added suicidal tendencies is stupid. People fail to see the MUCH higher risk of suicide if depression is left untreated. The statistics are there and speak clearly......01% greater risk while using antidepressants opposed to 2.2% - 15% not treating depression....it's dumb.

Take the antidepressant people....follow your doctors orders and be on the look out for feelings of sadness or worthlessness that increase. Talk to your Dr. about all symptoms that "linger" and go to follow up appointments, especially in those first few months of treatment.

Above all else if you feel suicidal seek help immediately!